“The theatre is an operation with the scalpel, i think movie acting is an operation with the laser.” Michael Caine teaches in this documentary the art of movie acting to five young actors, who perform scenes from “Alfie”, “Deathtrap” and “Educating Rita”.
He talks about how to perform in close-ups and extreme close-ups. He warns about the continuity dangers of smoking cigarettes or fiddling with props. He talks about screen tests, special effects, men who are cavalier about your safety and speaking to someone who is off camera. The movie camera is your best friend and most attentive lover, he says, even though you invariably ignore her (BBC 1987).’
“Student” actors as seated from left to right:
- Simon Cutter (e.g: Troilus & Cressida, The Wedding Party)
- Ian Redford (e.g: Grange Hill, Coronation Street, Casualty)
- Celia Imrie (e.g: Victoria Wood, Mama Mia, Exotic Marigold Hotel)
- Mark Jefferis (e.g: Spitting Image, The Muppets)
- Shirin Taylor (e.g: Coronation Street, Doctor Who) .